Thursday, April 22, 2021

Arriving in the US

 70 years ago ( yesterday) my Mother and I went down the gangplank from the  liner Liberte and stood in line to enter the US. She had awoken me at 6 am so we could see the Statue of Liberty as we sailed into the NY harbor!! Our voyage had taken almost a week... sailing from Southampton to NYC.

My  Great Uncle and Aunt were waiting for us and we drove off for our new home in W. Nyack, NY.... I had never driven in a car before  and shortly afterwards became car sick and lost my breakfast on the side of the road. Something that happened way too many times afterwards!!  LOL

And the new life began...


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never been to New York before, nor have I ever seen that statue, except in photos and TV.

When looking back, I recall getting carsick often when I was younger, which sure wasn't fun.

Kay said...

Wow! What an interesting history you have. And yup. I got car sick when I was little too.