Sunday, March 14, 2021

Gray days plus a missing hour

We have had several days of gray gray skies... occasional rain and wind. Not very pleasant.  The grass is turning greener... daffodils are growing but not blooming yet... my lilacs are budding. So all in all, Spring must be heading our way.

Bob and I both have had vaccine #1... mine was the Pfizer one. His was the Moderna one.  No bad symptoms for either of us.   We were given dates for shot #2 !!

This morning we lost an hour ... not really other than the clocks said so!!  Bob went around and adjusted everything that didn't do by itself!!

I am working my way through things in the freezer. Sometimes is is very surprising what I find!! Today I turned some "older" chicken into chicken soup.  I remember having chicken soup... made by my Mother... when chickens were past laying.  My step-father would kill, pluck and remove "things".  She also made chicken and dumplings with these birds.

Each spring 25 or so little yellow fluffball chicks would arrive and be housed in the little half-bath off my bedroom. There they would stay till it was warm enough and they were big enough to go outside. They could really make quite a racket...

4 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

And how we need spring!

Henny Penny said...

We've had a gray day today too. Rain coming in overnight. Can't complain though, we have had several warm sunny days, that were much needed. I need to make chicken soup from some of our old hens but I simply can not bring myself to do it. I get too attached to these chickens. I would never have made a real farmer. :)

Bettina Groh said...

I didn't make pets out of the chickens except for one Rhode Island Red rooster... when he had to "go" I couldn't eat him!!

Kay said...

My aunt tells me of the years of war and starvation where the family had to eat her pet rabbit. She became a vegetarian after that. I know my parents had chickens that became dinner at long, long time ago. I'm glad we didn't name them.