Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Another Singer sewing machine

I know that old sewing machines are hard to get rid of in parts of the world... but old black ( or green ) metal Singer machines are still a sought after item her in the US.. Today Bob and I made a trip out to the library (  we needed more !! reading material) and decided to stop at the Habitat for Humanity Restore store. For those of you unfamiliar with this, its a great place to find all sorts of used building materials, tiles, lights, tools etc and some furniture and household items... all donated. The $$ made goes to help Habitat for Humanity build new or revamped homes.
I found a Singer 99K with table and  thanks to Bob's online search ... we found that this machine was made in Scotland in 1957. The 99 model is a smaller version of the well-known 66 -
the quilt makers favorite machine.
I does need oiling... cleaning of the side that was up when closed in the table and a new belt.
Best of all... it was only $30.00.
It will join my Featherweight, a green 15, my Mother-in-law's square top 301 ( left it to me in her will) and several others.  Luckily my husband is a great one for refurbishing things plus I have a local sewing machine repair person when Bob is stymied!!
Think I will check out eBay for a case so I can take this one when we are away from home!

Today Bob has all the little accessories out... plus the sewing machine oil. Soon it will be "up to his standards"! Plus he is looking online for a new belt!!

1 comment:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Wow - amazing price - and good to have your own sewing machine mechanic. I'm reading your blog backwards so hadn't seen this one before I commented on the most recent one. Just love those old machines. The sound of them sewing is so soothing. I've been lucky, I've found the Featherweight belts at JoAnn Fabrics - and very reasonable. I buy two at a time just to make sure I have one if one breaks so I can keep sewing.