Saturday, June 24, 2023

translation!!

Don't remember if I said I was born in Germany ( 1945) and have my government baby book and my Mother's too.  But I can't  translate either of them totally and can't decipher the hand written names of my grandparents on my Father's side.

When I was born in Werther ( western Germany) my Father was a soldier in Poland. After the war he was living in East Berlin but my Mother and I managed to join my Grandmother in London...so we never met  and I didn't find this baby book until my Mother had died and there was no chance to ask questions!

But...my teacher daughter has found a "German" genealogy group that is part of our library system and meets in the Midwest Genealogy Center and spoke to one of the members . She says she can translate what I'd like to know!!

I have done the beginning "tree" on ancestry.com and members of my tree in the UK and Germany have filled in lots more... but not knowing my Father's mother 's name etc. has put a stop to adding on that side!!

There are times when I am amazed when matches show up... Germany really kept amazing records... one linked me to a saint in the 14th century!!

1 comment:

Donna. W said...

How interesting indeed! Through DNA, I've learned that my husband and I are both mostly British/Irish. Here in the Wellington community, there are many people of German Heritage. In fact, the oldest Church in town used to do services in the German language, but that stopped sometime around World War I, I think. I wrote a song about that church. We still call it the Old German Church, although its real name is St. Lukes. Used to be U.C.C., but now it's Evangelical.