Friday, March 18, 2022

Day Trip

 Yesterday... day trip to Omaha !

Bob  bought some vintage Heathkit computers and accessories online with the agreement that he would pick them up so the seller did not have to worry about shipping!

So off we went... to Omaha, which is about 3.5 hours North of us on the Interstate. The day was gorgeous... but the closer we got to Omaha, the colder it got and windy too.

We arrived about 12.30. I brought my Kindle and settled down to read while the two men talked and then carried all of Bob's "stuff" to the car.

By then the temp. was about 52 and VERY windy. Off we headed hoping to find somewhere for lunch... but southern Nebraska and northern Iowa only have small towns and the signs on the Interstate read no gas, no attractions, and no food.

Finally came across an exit which had several gas stations and a Wendy's... not my favorite but by then I was really hungry. I guess others were too.. it was quite busy! An elderly gentleman helped me with the drinks machine... even making sure I had napkins when I goofed! A young man with a great smile and a drilling company hoodie explained they drilled for water ... which he said was more valuable than oil or gas!!

By that time Wendy's had emptied out and our lunch was brought to the table...it was still cold and super windy when we left... BUT when we got to Kansas City about two hours later it was 81 and Bob turned on the car's air conditioning. 

Right now we are back to cold - 42 and it has been raining since early morning.


BTW... forgot to mention how dry everything looked on our trip... ponds way down too!!  And there were grass fires along the interstate heading north and then off to the Missouri River when returning - heading south

1 comment:

Kay said...

Gosh! I've never heard of a Heathkit computer before. It must be very vintage. I'm glad you made it back safely and met some nice people on the way.