Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Back home

We are all back home...maybe we overdid since we are all feeling under the weather! But we had a great time!

Laurel's non-profit /development convention gave her lots of new ideas.

The rest of us walked and walked and walked. We saw San Antonio's River Walk... by foot and by boat. Saw part of the River Walk's fund raising parade... rain made the boats wet and they had problems! We shopped and found souvenirs for everyone. The River Walk is partly a water retention project with gates that can descend when there is flooding but also part of a river. Lots and lots of older buildings... newer hotels...the site of a World's Fair...where a hotel was build like building blocks ( pre-made sections attached together  with furniture, bathrooms etc.)   for some of the 6,000,000 fair attendees.

Two went on a ghost tour and saw the Alamo! Three went to the annual arts and crafts festival and learned about the "Day of the Day" ofrendas or alters. We decided to set one up for our family next year... especially since Robb's birthday was Oct. 30th .

San Antonio's Comicon was this weekend and held in the convention center below our hotel. My daughters smoke so we sat in the smoking area and watched and watched many many attendees... Carolyn took pictures of those in the best costumes!! She did not want to attend herself nor buy anything from the vendor area... but really enjoyed watching those that did!! There are people from babies to really oldies... plus whole families!!

And food?? We went to many restaurants and enjoyed them all...We had planned on some TexMex... but there weren't any in walking distance. Oh well!!

We left very early yesterday morning and , lucky me, I was seated on the right side at we headed North! Watched a stupendous red and orange sunrise through my window for almost the whole hour long flight from San Antonio to Dallas, TX !! Yes, I know... red sky at morning, sailors take warning!

After we arrived home I went out for Halloween candy and Bob brought down our decorations from the attic and and put them up outside.

Kids came ... little ones and big ones , all dressed up. I do have candy left but I am sure "someone" will eat it!!

2 comments:

Henny Penny said...

So glad I read this post. I was in San Antonio (in the Air Force) in 1960 where I met and married my first husband. We were dating and visited the Alamo and spent time at Breckinridge Park...then, I think the River Walk was there. Could be wrong. Your post brought back memories.

Also, I read your post about "not taking Foximax for osteoporosis". My Mother and my sister were on Foximax for ten years and neither had any problems. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis severaal years ago. My doctor put me on Foximax and after three months my jaw bones starting hurting. I panicked and stopped taking it. I regret not trying something else. I have lost 3" in height. I look like a small barrel with arms and legs.:) Anyhow, the doctor I have now said it's never too late...she started me on Boniva. I had my first dose Oct. 13th. Hope and pray there will be no side effects. I read an interesting article put out by Harvard Medical publishing about women shunning osteoporosis treatment for fear of side effects. I don't know how to send a link.

Hope you don't mind me sending this comment. Gosh, it feeels good to talk to somemone who has been undecided, like myself. Glad you had a nice trip to San Antonio.

Kay said...

I was on Fosamax for about 7 years and my dentist was uncomfortable with it. Whatever the case, my regular doctor took me off it and had me on Reclast Infusions. Now my new doctor says it wasn't helping and put me on Prolia. Fingers crossed.

We only skimmed through Texas many decades ago when we visited the Carlsbad Caverns. I'm glad you got to enjoy more of the state.